Friday, February 1, 2013

2 Month Check-Up

Maggie had her 2-month checkup at the pediatrician's this morning.  She is a very healthy baby at about 11 lbs.  Her weight and head circumference were in the 50th percentile; they didn't verify her length because the casts keep her legs bent (for only a few more days!).

The doctor was happy with her milestones:

   Follows moving objects with eyes
   Can lift and turn head
   Smiles intentionally
   Vocalizing (she just started this a couple days ago, usually         
                       just little screeches when she's happy)
   

We've been nervous about her digestion the past week because she gets so upset and gassy after eating.  The doctor told us that she now has to push in order to do a #2 instead of it just coming out automatically... apparently she's still trying to figure out what it means to push, leading to a lot of crying, which leads to more gas, which leads to more crying... a vicious cycle!

The pediatrician was shocked that Maggie is sleeping 7-8 hours per night.  She warned me not to get used to it in case it changes, but was pretty impressed.

Poor Maggie had some bad chafing around her thigh from one of the casts, so the pediatrician helped me cut away part of the cast to provide some relief.  I love her doctor, she's the best!

Then it was time for shots... (insert scary theme music here)

She had 2 injection shots, one in each thigh.  I kept her diaper off so the nurse would have an easier time finding open skin above the casts.  The first shot made her cry, but only for a moment.  The nurse warned me that the second shot caused some stinging, so I should pick her up as soon as she finished injecting.  Well, my little darling shot a not-so-darling missile of poo all over the table, her blanket, her casts and her Momma while being picked up.  The very kind nurse quickly wiped away the nastiness, only to have it replaced with a gush of the yellow stuff... and then some more poo... seriously, Maggie?!?  It was actually pretty funny, that girl only knows one thing to do when she's upset!

We set up the first stage of Maggie's jungle gym this week, and she really seems to enjoy it:


Maggie also is learning to soothe herself by sucking on her hands instead of a pacifier.  It's pretty cute:



My mom took Maggie and me to the mall and lunch on Tuesday.  It was my first time using the stroller, and I love it!  Maggie was a quiet angel while we shopped and ate, it was fun!

First elevator ride - not impressed

Cuddling with Grammer
I took Maggie downtown to meet everyone at work on Wednesday, and to get an idea what I'll be working on when I head back next week.  It's funny to work with mostly guys... all the daddies asked questions about how she is doing, while all the bachelors just looked scared and uncomfortable.  

Maggie also went to Home Depot with me, and helped me replace the valve system in the upstairs toilet today.  She's pretty smart.



No comments:

Post a Comment